Thursday, April 29, 2010

Behind the Scenes: Super-Macro Photo-Art

This is a recent creation of mine and I like to think of it as the monster that lives in my closet scaring me at night; the reason I don't sleep with the closet door open. After I created it I thought that perhaps someone may mistake it for a photograph of a toy or doll or the like; when in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. So for this blog post I am going to provide a little 'behind the scenes' on how the image was created.

For starters it is important to know that it is a composite of two photographs taken with my cameraphone. It is also important to know that I outfitted my cameraphone with a lens from a DVD player which makes it a super-macro (about the magnification of a cheapie microscope).

This is the first image I used. In the final product it is what I would refer to as a headdress; perhaps similar to a Native American ceremonial headdress. What it is in reality is a weensy little hole in the surface of my desk. Once I got it edited to my liking I thought something filling the hole would be cool. Which leads us to . . .





. . . the second image I used. This is the face of the monster. I think it looks like an evil feline monster of some type - like a Thundercat gone awry. What it actually is is a segment of the body of a dead crane fly.



Mix equal parts, put in Photoshop for 30 minutes, and voila! You have have the monster that lives in my closet.

No comments: